I’m putting this post up as there are so many forum threads and posts with about a million different ways to do this, mostly all with outdated versions of things. This post of course will end up in that same category of being out of date eventually, but being that the tablet is quite old now, it shouldn’t change much more than this. This is my attempt at being the most up to date as I could figure out. Below is the instructions for getting it fixed and updated to the latest and greatest as of the date of this post.
For some reason in this case the SD card mentioned is actually the internal storage. To remove any confusion I took my actual micro SD card out before starting this. During this process think of the SD card as the internal storage. I recommend creating a folder structure for this, as you will be working with multiple different update.zip’s and folders names the same. For example, Desktop\recovery1.1 and Desktop\recovery1.2.
WARNING: This process removes ALL data. Back up everything you want first!
WARNING: This process formats your internal memory! BACK UP YOUR DATA, IT WILL BE LOST!
WARNING: Do this with your tablet plugged in to power!
NOTICE: I am not responsible for what happens to your tablet while doing this. This process is very safe and should be problem free if followed exactly.
Recover/Upgrade to stock ROM:
I recommend the section below about getting ready for a custom ROM instead of this section. The default ROM is pretty terrible, a custom ROM will serve you a lot better. Also, the last stock Clockwork Recovery Mod is very old and is not being maintained anymore, which will cause problems with newer ROMs.
You can recover to either 1.1 or 1.2. I recommend 1.2, but the steps are basically the same for both. I would also recommend removing your SD card for this process.
1. Download and extract NVFlash: nvflash_windows_20100500.zip
2. Download and extract the recovery image you want to use:
3. Combine the recovery image files and the nvlfash files into one folder
4. Download and extract the USB drivers: SystemUSB.zip
5. Turn your tablet off completey.
6. Plug in your tablet to power and USB.
7. Boot your tablet by pressing PWR and VOL-. After the Viewsonic screen, the screen will go black. It is now waiting for a command but is still in fact on. Meanwhile, Windows will ask for your help installing the USB drivers. Point it to the drivers folder you extracted earlier.
8. Run “nflash_gtablet.bat”
9. After copying everything over, the tablet will reboot, unplug the USB cable.
You can now download and install the OTA 1.2-5699 update that pops up if you want. If you want to run a custom ROM/root it from here, continue to the next secion on installing CLockwork Mod for 1.2.
Warning: If you apply the OVA 1.2-5699 update that pops up, it will stick you in a boot loop. Boot into recovery (PWR + VOL+) and select “Wipde data/Factory Reset” and “Wipe Cache”. Reboot as normal.
Install Clockwork Recrovery Mod for 1.2:
NOTE: This is a very old version of CWRM, and will probably cause problems with any modern custom ROM. I would recommend following the section below instead.
1. Download CWM3028.1.2internal.zip
2. Connect the USB cable and browse to the tablet in Windows.
3. Delete all of the files copied earlier if applicable (for cleanliness and simplicity sake, so less mistakes are made).
4. Extract and copy update.zip and recovery folder from CWM3028.1.2internal.zip over to the tablet.
5. Disconnect the USB cable and reboot into recover (shutdown, then PWR + VOL+)
6. As before, it should into the recovery and apply the update. It will then switch to the default Android recovery.
7. Power off the tablet, and boot back into recovery. This time it should be CWM 1.2!
Crazy easy method to get it un-bricked and ready for a custom ROM:
Note: I’m using a zip from TeamDRH which is a verison of Clockwork Mod Touch v6. It makes it simple by already having the recovery installed in the image.
1. Download and extract NVFlash: TeamDRH_350M_Prep.zip (This contains the drivers and the nvflash utility)
4. Turn your tablet off completey.
5. Plug in your tablet to power and USB.
6. Boot your tablet by pressing PWR and VOL-. After the Viewsonic screen, the screen will go black. It is now waiting for a command but is still in fact on. Meanwhile, Windows will ask for your help installing the USB drivers. Point it to the drivers folder you extracted earlier.
7. Run “nflash_gtablet.bat”
8. After copying everything over, turn off the tablet by holding down the power button.
9. Turn it back on normally.
10. Select “mounts and storage”
11. Select “mount USB storage”
10. Copy the custom ROM to the tablet
11. Return to the main menu
12. Select “install zip from sdcard”
13. Select “choose zip from internal sdcard”
14. Select the zip and confirm with “Yes”
15. After the install finishes, go back to the main menu and reboot as normal.